Sunday, July 13, 2014

Letters to Anita : Letter 3



Dear Anita,

I stood there at the end of the street looking down to the emptiness. Strange sounds of night hurt my ears.  Stray dogs heralded my presence with pity in their eyes.  A waning moon casted a long shadow on the ever dark streets. As I looked up to the stars in the sky, all I could see the sharp edges of a lazy moon. I began my walk to the end of darkness. I hummed the song you sung to me. My words fumbled and my legs wobbled. But I kept on walking.

            At the stroke of dawn I reached home and birds chirped to greet my untimely arrival. But it was not my home. My home was in your heart. Your name is etched on my stone heart with softness of your smile. Often I juxtaposed myself in believing that I don’t love you. My mind says to move on. But my heart tells me to stay on. My heart is at war with my mind. But at the end it’s my heart that wins. It is because it’s not my heart at all. It’s your heart that beats in me. I have only taken care of it all these years. But now people tell me that I am heartless because you have taken it away.

            Etched in forlornness is the sketch of my day dreams. Happiness has emptied itself at your feet to beg mercy for peace. But that is as far it reaches. Though the heavens have opened it up to bring rain and peace to a parched earth; I still walk down that street with rain as a guise. It helps me to hide the tears.

            I still walk down that street where your home is. I do not need rain anymore. My heart still cries but, my parched eyes have nothing to offer my cheeks. It has dried up. Only the tears of sadness as rain will bring it comfort. I will wait for that rain.

Yours Always.

P.S. – I still walk down that street where your home is. I still love your home.